Are you planning to trek the most popular Himalayan trek – The Kedarkantha Trek? Do you wish to witness camping in the snow-capped mountains? If yes, The Trek is perfect for you!
Towering at an altitude of 3800 meters, Kedarkantha is wrapped with nature surroundings, mesmerising Himalayan peaks and Adventurous Govind Wildlife Sanctuary.
It’s one of the best winter treks in India, accessible during heavy winters. From newbies to PRO trekkers, all prefer this amazingly startling trekking trail for the brand-new adventures it offers each time.
So, before you head to India’s most prefered trekking route and experience the gorgeous views of alpine meadows, the following guidelines are exclusively for you!
Highlights of the Kedarkantha trekking:
- Day 1: Dehradun – Sankri
- Day 2: Sankri – Juda ka Talab – Kedarkantha base camp
- Day 3: Kedarkantha base camp – Summit – Kedarkantha base camp
- Day 4: Back to Sankri
- Day 5: Sankri – Dehradun
Since Kedarkantha peak is one of the sought-after trekking trails in India, the guidelines also play a critical role. Before you get stoned by the wide-open green meadows, breath-taking landscapes, dapple pine and oak forest, serene lakes, panoramic views of majestic Himalayan peaks and picture-perfect campsites, let’s glimpse through the adventure and challenges to expect.
Catch a glimpse of Kedarkantha Trek
- Difficulty level: Moderate (Suitable for Beginners)
- Location: Uttarkashi district, Uttarakhand
- Trek distance: 25 km (Approx)
- Base Camp: Sankri (Dehradun to Sankri 200 km)
- Duration: 4-5 days
- Trekking altitude: 12,500 ft. from Sankri to Kedarkantha peak
- Best Season: Winter (December – April)
- What to expect: A mind-boggling trail path from dense oak and pine forest, snow-capped Himalayan ranges during winter and an open meadow.
Kedarkantha Trek from base to peak
Starting from an isolated village of Sankri, Uttarakhand (6,000ft), This trek has so much to offer the trekkers till the cliff at 12,500 feet. The Kedarkantha trek takes individual trekkers through saturated oak and pine forests, frozen lakes, and snow-covered trails towards the final peak. The journey captures astounding panoramic views of glacier peaks almost the entire way.
The trek takes approximately 4-5 days to complete from Sankri to Sankri, plus additional days for travel from Dehradun and elsewhere.
The best season for the Trek
The Kedarkantha Trek is an all-season trekking route. However, it’s one of the rare Himalayan treks in India that’s also accessible during the harsh wintertime. In fact, the trek is ideal for the wintertime, between December to April.
These 5 months offer trekkers an opportunity of a lifetime to glimpse the best views of snow-capped mountains and picture-perfect, dreamy landscapes, all covered in a silky blanket of snow.
Isn’t just thinking about this scenic view giving you goosebumps?
Regardless of extreme snowfall, weather conditions, and temperature disturbances, Trek is suitable for all explorer types; it’s the easiest.
Things to carry
You must carry several crucial things for the Kedarkantha trekking, including
- Winter wear (thermals, jackets, gloves, socks, neck warmers, etc.),
- Trekking pants & t-shirts,
- Hiking shoes,
- Toiletries (sunscreen is a must!),
- Power banks,
- Some light snacks,
- First Aid kit and ID proofs,
- UV-protected sunglasses,
- Troch, water bottle,
- Trekking pole.